Monday, September 5, 2011

Elder Bednar!!

hello! how are you this week??
so right now I am in Crawley (which is rare these days) and I am in a way ghetto Indian internet cafe that smells like cheap curry. This computer is pretty slow and the 'g' key doesn't work very well so if some words don't make any sense just pop a 'g' in there somewhere and it'll help :)
well this week has been pretty good! we have been at the visitors center most of the time. I like it there. It's wierd not being out on the streets contacting very often and it is so different from regular missionary work but it is fun. you meet some great people and the best part is they come to you! the worst part is they are never from crawley.
there were times when it was pretty slow, during the week not many people come in but the weekends are super busy. however, we've managed to stay really busy because we started doing chat. on mormon.org when people are on the website they have the option of talking to missionaries so that is what we do when we have some down time. we found out this week that the VC is our priority and then chat and THEN crawley so not much is happening there sadly. we don't have time.
chat is kinda wierd. A lot of time it's non members just playing pranks on you or asking you really wierd questions which gets a little annoying but you do get some who are pretty interested. the funniest is sometimes we get members on who just want to talk. we have a few people get on and say something like 'I'm teaching a sunday school lesson and wanted your help to prepare for it' I thought that was stupid...
there is this one guy...the magnet man... he is a legend with chat. In the MTC we also did a little bit of chat but not much. Our teachers had warned us about this guy who pranks missionaries and always acts like he is way genuine and you talk to him forever and then eventually he brings up magnet guy and you know it's a prank. Get a life right? In the MTC I talked to him a couple times. Yesterday he was on... 11 months later and he is still doing it. I was so mad haha and don't ask cause I don't know the reasoning behind why magnets are his thing.
we didn't think it would keep us very busy but once you are on you are talking to people almost the entire time and at times you're talking to several people at once which is pretty difficult actually haha. the wierdest/coolest thing about chat is it works just like it would as though we were talking to people on the streets. we can set up return appointments and everything. we taught the first vision over chat yesterday. I prefer to do it in person... we even got a new investigator yesterday through chat. his name is Mike and he lives in portugal haha wierd right? it's pretty cool though, we're 'chatting' with him again later this week.
so yeah, it's kinda fun but I prefer talking to people face to face. wouldn't want to do this my whole mish but I like it.
anyway, enough about chat.
ELDER BEDNAR!!! wow! it was sooo amazing!!! I loved every minute of it. I don't even know where to begin or how to describe it. I don't even have much time left to talk about it.. it was so good. (BTW the musical number went well)
I loved it because he was so different than he in is general conference. so much more laid back and way funny. it was cool because he did it as more of a question/answer type of conference. he didn't even have an agenda. he taught us about the importance of following the spirit and learning by the spirit and then he showed us how by actually doing it the entire meeting. it lasted about 3 hours and I wish it would have gone longer. it was amazing. he talked a lot about asking in faith but it taked action. he told us that when moses parted the red sea he stepped into the water before it started parting which wouldn't have taken so much faith. then he went on to explain how we can apply that in our lives.
he talked about so many great things and I learned so much. But my favorite part was at the end when he bore his testimony. I felt the spirit confirm to me so powerfully that he truly is called by God as an Apostle of the Lord. Just being in his presence you could feel something different. It was a really special experience for me. he is such an amazing man. it came and went so fast! :(
but, guess what?!? I got to shake his hand!! yay! I had to conduct all of the musical numbers and at the end I sat on the stand during the prayer and as he got up to leave he came over to me and shook my hand. I was soo excited haha it's pretty lame how excited I was actually but I thought it was really cool!
anyway, yeah, that was pretty much my week. it's been going really well! and good news, I haven't crashed the car yet! however, parallel parking took me like 20 minutes last night haha I hate Englands roads but driving here is fun.
thanks for everything!! I love you so much! have a great week :)
love ya!
love, sister gregson
ps. this pic is me and one of grandpa's missionaries from the manchester mish! he actually wrote me about her recently so make sure he sees this!!! I met her while I was at the VC

No comments:

Post a Comment